Unable to set DISPLAY localhost:0.0 / Solved

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 22 04:47:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 14:03 +0000, Linux Beginner wrote:

> As suggested i left out xhost + and tried .. it works but i am
> NOT able to use any other login (oracle in this case) as shown
> below

First, you should ask yourself if there is a good reason you are using
the root account to ssh to another account on the same host. If you
simply want to change users, sudo (or, already being root, su) may be
good alternatives. If you really need to use ssh, you may want to
consider using a different user account to start with.

At any rate, here are the settings I have under /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
PasswordAuthentication yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
GSSAPIAuthentication yes
GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
UsePAM yes
X11Forwarding yes
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

And the relevant settings in my ${HOME}/.ssh/config:

Host *
	FowardX11 yes

There should be nothing else (in ssh, anyway) preventing you from making
multiple logins as the same user. Note that with these settings, the -X
option is redundant, and I'm not sure why you are using -
F /etc/ssh/ssh_config. The default behavior is to use
${HOME}/.ssh/config and if that fails, /etc/ssh/ssh_config.

When you successfully log in, your display should (automatically) be
something like ":11.0", not ":0.0" or "localhost:0.0". If you set it to
one of the latter, you're going to have access problems.

Depending on what you're trying to do, if you really do want to redirect
your X clients' display to :0.0, you ought to use xauth, not xhost.
xauth can provide per-user/per-session access to the display without
allowing access from all clients on the network. If you're determined to
use xhost, however, do yourself a favor and limit which hosts you grant
access to (using xhost +localhost, for instance).

--
Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org>