USB external Hard disk - May be LVM

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Tue Mar 22 12:13:36 UTC 2005

Antonio Montagnani mi ha scritto / wrote to me il / on 22/03/2005 10.47:

> Alexandre Oliva ha scritto / wrote  il / on 21/03/2005 18:04:
>
>> On Mar 21, 2005, Antonio Montagnani <anto.montagnani at virgilio.it> wrote:
>>

>>> When I start the rescue mode, no linux system is found!!!! and if I
>>> connect the USB drive to another system, the hard drive is recognized
>>> and all partitions are seen.
>>> What am I missing???
>>>

>> the `expert' flag after `linux rescue'.  USB disks aren't searched
>> without it, for some reason I can't fathom.
>>

> I re-installed from scratch, with automatic partitioning (LVM volumes..)
> Then following Simon's instructions I created a usbinitrd.img.
>
> Please note that I want to start up automatically Fedora only when the
> USB disk is connected (no alternative OS available), and when USB is
> disconnected Windows XP will be started
>
> Now I have only made modifications connected to the new image to
> grub.conf
>
> My grub.conf file now looks like:
>
> #boot=/dev/sda1
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage (hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
>    root (hd1,0)
>    kernel /vmlinux-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
> quiet
>    initrd /usbinitrd.img
>
> Is it correct??
>
> How do I install grub now on the USB disk???
>
> Tnx

I forgot to share information about my USB disk. From the fdisk -p output

Disk /dev/sda:81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
255 hads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cyclinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 0 8225280 bytes

Device             Boot          Start          End          Blocks
    ID         System

/dev/sda1          *                  1            13
104391      83         Linux
/dev/sda2                              14         9964      79931407+
8e         Linux LVM

Of course I do not boot from USB disk (removable device boot is enabled
in BIOS).
What is my next step???

--
Antonio M.

Mail by Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 Websurfing by Mozilla Firefox 1.0
http://start.mozilla.org/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:it-IT:official
Posta con Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 Navigazione con Mozilla Firefox 1.0
http://start.mozilla.org/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:it-IT:official