useing spamd instead of spamassassin, howto?

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Wed Mar 23 04:59:17 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 18:22, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Somehow spamd doesn't seem to be running in the path the mail
> takes when kmail fetches it from my isp, so how does one go about
> setting up spamd to actually work?  I've read the man page
> without any lights of comprehension comiing on.  A url with
> better docs, and examples of howto for kmail integration would be
> very nice.

Just for a quick test I enabled spamassassin by running "spamd -d"
to start the daemon and then created a filter in Kmail that would
execute "spamc" on all incoming mail.  This is with the standard
FC3 distribution.  From the amount of time it took to download the
mail from the server I could tell that it was processing the
messages and there were logs of the scan in /var/log/maillog of the
form:

Mar 22 22:33:28 LinMaster spamd[5925]: connection from LinMaster
[127.0.0.1] at port 32816
Mar 22 22:33:28 LinMaster spamd[5925]: info: setuid to mklinke
succeeded
Mar 22 22:33:28 LinMaster spamd[5925]: processing message
<4240E136.7040100 at ieee.org> for mklinke:500.
Mar 22 22:33:30 LinMaster spamd[5925]: clean message (0.0/5.0) for
mklinke:500 in 2.6 seconds, 3630 bytes.
Mar 22 22:33:30 LinMaster spamd[5925]: result: .  0 -
scantime=2.6,size=3630,mid=<4240E136.7040100 at ieee.org>,autolearn=ham

In my ~mklinke/.spamassassin directory I had the "local.cf" file
mentioned in the docs (  /usr/share/doc/spamassassin-3.0.1 ) as
well as in /etc/mail/spamassassin.

I think you'll want to invoke spamd with the -L switch rather than
"spamc -L" that you tried and then you'll have to post-filter spam
marked messages with additional kmail filters to move to the
directory of your choice.

Regards, Mike Klinke