Final step to boot from an USB hard disk?

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Wed Mar 23 06:38:50 UTC 2005

Following Simon's instructions ( www.simon.com/usb ):
Please note that it is an IDE hard disk in an IDE to USB box (and
working properly both in Linux and Windows...)

1) I installed Fedora on the external Hard disk, installing grub on
/dev/sda and deleting the option to start Windows as my goal is to have
a Fedora system booting any laptop!!

2) according to the instructions I created a new image

3) I modified the grub.conf file that now looks like:

#boot=/dev/sda1
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage (hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
  root (hd1,0)
  kernel /vmlinux-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
  initrd /usbinitrd.img

Is it correct??

4) I rebooted the machine, but the Rescue disk tells me that there is no
Linux partitions!!!!!

5) Fdisk -p /dev/sda says:

Disk /dev/sda:81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
255 hads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cyclinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 0 8225280 bytes

Device            Boot   Start   End      Blocks         Id         System
/dev/sda1            *      1          13      104391          83      Linux
/dev/sda2                    14       140      1020127+    82      Linux
swap
/dev/sda3                     141   9964   78911280      83      Linux

If I manually mount the system by :
mkdir     /mnt/sysimage
mount     /dev/sda3     /mnt/sysimage
mount     /dev/sda1    /mnt/sysimage/boot
choot /mnt/sysimage

6) At this point if I issue fdisk /dev/sda I get : Impossible to open
/dev/sda ??? what does it mean??

7) If I check my fstab file it looks like:

LABEL=/                                   /        ext3
defaults      1   1
LABEL=/boot1                          /boot   ext3      defaults      1   2
none                                             /dev/pts   devpts
gid=5, mode=620   0   0
none                                          /dev/shm   tmpfs
defaults   0   0
none                                          /proc   proc   defaults
0   0
none                                          /sys   sysfs   defaults
0   0
LABEL=SWAP-sda2               /swap      swap      defaults      0   0

Why boot1 and not boot????

8) at this point I tried to instal grub (grub-install /dev/sda ) but I
get the reply :
/dev/sda: not found or not a block device!!!

Any help????Thanks

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3