dual boot; remove Windows partitions

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Mar 23 08:30:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 15:36 -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> > You are using LVM; there is no need to do anything drastic.
> >
> > Change the partition types of hda1 and hda2 to "Linux LVM". Don't delete
> > or merge the partitions together, or you will need to alter your
> > grub.conf file to change partition numbers (not a big job, admittedly).
> >
> > Then do:
> > # pvcreate /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2
> >
> > You will now be able to use "vgextend" to add /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 to
> > your existing logical volume (VolGroup00 by default):
> > # vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2
> >
> > "vgdisplay" should then show that you have additional 30G of free space
> > in your volume group, which you can add to your existing logical
> > volume(s), using "lvextend". You can then use resize2fs or ext2online to
> > change the sizes of the ext2/3 filesystems on the logical volume(s) you
> > have made bigger, to make use of the extra space.
> >
> > Paul.
>
> Does it matter that hda1 is marked boot or will it not matter?

You're using grub as the bootloader, right? As far as I know, grub takes
no notice of those flags. You might want to toggle the boot flag off to
avoid confusion at a later date though (leaving no partitions
"bootable", since no partitions will have a usable bootloader on their
first block - grub is in the MBR, not a partition).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>