Bochs trouble

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 23 09:41:52 UTC 2005

Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> When I use bochs on FC3, the virtual machine is terribly slow, and when
> it is working, my real cpu usage according to top and xosview is 100% on
> either CPU0 or CPU1 (I have a Pentium 4 HT 2.8 GHz and use the SMP
> kernel).
>
> Is it strange that it does that, or should I ignore it? I also cant
> figure out what IPS I should use on my machine. I currently use
> 9,000,000. and I use the normal Bochs bios. the 2 processor one also
> works.
> Can someone tell me what IPS I can use with my specific processor?
>
> Kind regards and happy Linuxing,
> Coert
> __________________________
> Another proud FC3 Linux user!!

bochs is very very slow. I've never gotten it beyond a crawl even with
throwing ridiculous hardware and memory at it (HT 3.2 w/1Gb and beyond!!!).

If you can do what you need to do using VMWare or wine, I would
certainly suggest you try going that way, as I've found my VMWare test
drive at the time very appealing. Much faster than bochs, much more
stable, and I didn't have to spend hours configuring bits and pieces to
get some performance out of it. It just worked.

Wine may also let you do what you need, unless you're not trying to run
Windows on Linux of course (you don't mention).

Regards,
Ed.