Checking if program is installed

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 18:21:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:13:33 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Mi, den 23.03.2005 schrieb Dotan Cohen um 18:41:
>
> > > rpm -qa | grep 'program-name'
>
> The grep search expression should be a part of the real RPM name in this
> case, to make sense this way. So if you look for all RPMs installed with
> "gnome" in their name:
>
> rpm -qa | grep "gnome"
>
> If you know the exact name of the program in question
>
> rpm -q iptraf
>
> is much more efficient as it does not first lists all rpm registered
> packages and then filters output of the list with grep.
>
> > Wow, thanks. Didn't find a thing...
> >
> > I know that this program may have 'funny' capitilization, so is there
> > a case-insensitive way to grep?
>
> "man grep" :) will point you to parameter "-i"
>
> By the way, you can too use "yum list installed". It takes to regular
> expressions, see "man yum":
>
> yum list installed [regexp1] [...]
>
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> Alexander
>
> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
> legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
> Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
> Serendipity 19:07:06 up 6 days, 17:03, load average: 0.29, 0.39, 0.46

Thank you Alexander. I asked the 'man' after I asked the question.
Bad, bad, I know...

And this program was not installed as an rpm (if it was in fact
installed). Is there a way to check all programs, not just rpms?

I am acually having a lot of trouble installing this program. If I
can't get it done soon, I may start posting my questions. But I'd like
to give google a chance to save me first!

Thank you all.

Dotan Cohen

http://English-Lyrics.com/
http://TerribleLyrics.com/