NATing PPTP connections

Yann Bizeul ml at tynsoe.org
Wed Mar 23 22:14:50 UTC 2005

Hello List.

	After weeks of trying to configure this simple thing that used to work
on older release/distro (RH based) I decided to bother you with my
problem.
	I use FC3, fully up to date 2.6.10-1.770_FC3.

	What I want to do is pretty simple : Connect to my VPN at work, from
home, using a machine that is on the LAN.
	What I did when it worked was pretty simple, I only forwarded port
1723/tcp to the LAN address of my machine.

	But that no longer works. Now this seem to be a gre problem, tcpdump
log this :
22:50:35.651866 IP vpn.****.*** > ***.******.org: call 18358 seq 1
gre-ppp-payload
22:50:38.645716 IP vpn.****.*** > ***.******.org: call 18358 seq 2
gre-ppp-payload

	This seem to never go to my LAN machine, which is 192.168.12.150

	Here are my firewall rules (filter table is ACCEPT everywhere):

Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 793K packets, 41M bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
     0     0 DNAT       tcp  --  eth0   any     anywhere
anywhere            tcp dpt:1723 to:192.168.12.150
     0     0 DNAT       gre  --  eth0   any     anywhere
anywhere            to:192.168.12.150

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 3759 packets, 416K bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
  1102 64927 MASQUERADE  all  --  any    eth0    anywhere
anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 88544 packets, 5382K bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

	I tried with and without forcing GRE nat without success, as you see,
0 packets traverse the rule.

	I would like to avoid recompiling the kernel and play hours with POM
to patch with a hazardous pptp nat module under 2.6, I hope some day
this will be merged with the FC kernel...

	Any idea people ? Nobody using FC3 as a gateway to connect to PPTP
servers ?

Thabks for your help.
Yann Bizeul - yann at tynsoe.org
Please use this e-mail when writing to me.

You can visit my projects at this address :
http://projects.tynsoe.org/
(BuddyPop - GeekTool - SSH Tunnel Manager...)