need a hyper-terminal like GUI based dial up utiity

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 24 03:35:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Claude Jones wrote:

> I'm trying to get a whole organization thinking Linux. Most users are not
> computer experts, maybe almost the opposite. One thing that's needed to make
> the the thing viable is a good GUI based dial-up utility that can dial in to
> a VAX - that means minimally VT100 emulation. Ease of use and a friendly
> interface are important for this crowd. I've looked and looked for such, but
> I'm not finding it. It's probably staring me in the face --- suggestions,
> anyone?

One would think that if you've been around long enough to need a terminal
emulator to dial into a vax that operating in a character environment
wouldn't been a huge impediment... I'm not offering that as a criticism
it's just that I have been around that long and 99% percent of the
functionality I needed in a dialup application was embodied in procom back
in 1986, most of it, along with an almost identical command set is
available in minicom...

Back in the day there was an application, seyon distributed with X11 that
was an X based dialup application... It used horrible openlook widgets if
I recall.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu