-s /tftpboot path in xinetd.d/tftp file

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Thu Mar 24 05:25:23 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Mark Sargent wrote:

>>> PS you should have tftp-server rpm installed.
>>> My guess is that you only have the tftp client package installed which
>>> indeed uses /usr/bin/tftp and this is not the network tftp services
>>> daemon.
>>> tftp is kind of chewen out and should work on almost any system.
>>>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> well, I'll be bamboozled...that was it...thanx Edwin...I didn't even
>> know there was a difference between server/client...annoying that
>> netstat showed xinetd listening on 69 when in fact, it couldn't have
>> been, technically, because the server wasn't there...can anyone tell
>> me what would have been more clear in showing whether tftp was there
>> or not..? Cheers.
>

> What was happening is that you had configured xinetd to listen for
> incoming connections on the tftp port and then pass them on to the
> server /usr/bin/tftp. However, that (/usr/bin/tftp) is the client
> program (like "ftp") rather than the server program (like "vsftpd") so
> of course it didn't work. So xinetd was doing exactly what you told it
> to do, and that's why it showed up in the netstat output.
>
> Probably the only thing that would have helped you figure out what was
> wrong would have been searching for a better reference on setting up a
> tftp server using xinetd.
>
> Paul.

Hi All,

hmmm, not outa the woods yet. Still getting the undefined error.

Switch#copy run tftp
Source filename [running-config]? running-config
Destination IP address or hostname []? 192.168.168.12
Destination filename [running-config]? /tftpboot/running-config
Building configuration...
%Error opening tftp://192.168.168.12//tftpboot/running-config (Undefined
error)

Ok, lets run through my set up, again,

dir permissions for tftpboot,

[root at localhost tftpboot]# ls -alh
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   root   4.0K Mar 24 14:10 .
drwxrwxrwx  24 nobody nobody 4.0K Mar 24 12:55 ..

above tftpboot is owned by nobody:nobody as per this site,

http://www.linux.com/howtos/Clone-HOWTO/setting-up.shtml
is it right..? as wello as it's suggestions below for xinetd.d/tftp

xinetd.d/tftp settings

[root at localhost tftpboot]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
# default: off
transfer #  protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless
#    workstations, download configuration files to network-aware
printers, # and to start the installation process for some operating
systems.
service tftp
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = -c -s /tftpboot
        disable                 = no
        per_source              = 11
        cps                     = 100 2
        flags                   = IPv4
}
 Correct..?

This site below is a little different,

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-hn/xinetd.htm
as it suggests creating the destination file prior to the transfer. Ok,
some questions, do I create the dest filename b4hand, and if so, what
ownership/permissions is required for it.? I'm lost. Anyone..? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.