How do you configure FC3 so that tape devices are static?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 24 10:05:42 UTC 2005

David Kerrivan wrote:
> I'm nominally a Solaris/NetBackup person,  so I'm a bit baffled by
> Fedora's (apparent) intrinsic desire to copy the Windows dynamic
> reconfiguration of tape devices.
>
> I'm very much used to creating my st devices and forgetting about them
> except for reconfiguration reboots.
>
> Is there a simple easy way to statically set st0 and st1 etc. to a
> particular tape drive?  I have an internal dat drive that I want to rely
> on being in one particular location - it will be setup to auto archive
> data my family dumps in their smb shares.  My external DLT drive will
> only be enabled when I'm doing a full system backup.  Since the kernel
> seems to be configured to rebuild the /dev/st* and corresponding nrst
> devices this is currently not possible.
>
> I've disabled kudzu with chkconfig (just have to remember to enable it
> next time I add hardware) but that doesn't seem to be the correct way.
> I've looked at /etc/rc.sysinit but didn't get much of a clue there save
> a hint in the SCSI area with modprobe, but that didn't go far.
>
> I really want my DDS2 drive to remain at st0 and my DLT to be st1 across
> every single reboot, whether it's powered on or not.
>
> Pointers folks?

You can probably achieve this by creating a pair of local udev rules in
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules that identify your specific devices
and create the device nodes before the "standard" Fedora rules get a
chance to do it.

See: http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php for details on how to
write these rules.

Paul.