Frame grab from DVD?

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:35:52 UTC 2005

> After installing/compiling mplayer, I've managed to get playing DVDs to
> work on my machine.
>
> My question is, how would I make a screen grab of a scene from the DVD?
> I tried the "take screenshot" feature under the "Actions" menu, but just
> got a blue screen where the DVD image should've been.

Mplayer is using the hardware video overlay feature of your video
card, which bypasses the framebuffer. Try using mplayer with the "-vo
x11" flag (or another video out driver, check "-vo help").
With the x11 driver, scaling has to be done in software, so that will
be a lot slower, but you can make screenshots this way.

Klaasjan