Missing Operating System on Poweredge 4300 (FC3)

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Fri Mar 25 19:57:31 UTC 2005

On Friday 25 March 2005 18:43, Matthew Benjamin wrote:
> Just tried it however it just opened up a prompt for grub. ( grub> ) and
> it didn't work, anymore suggestions?
incidentally these exchanges make far more sense both here and in the archive
if you bottom-post... (says Stuart, feeling like he might be flogging a dead
horse here :-) )
right, so now it boots to a grub prompt?
that's a start!
if you get a grub prompt at least both the first and second stages of grub are
in place - it's juts the configuration file (/boot/grub/grub.conf) that can't
be found...
but this is not so bad. You can give the same commands at the grub console
what would be in the config file, and then recreate them afterwards...
try the following at the grub> prompt
1. root (hd0,<tab>
hitting the tab key should fill in all the partitions it can see on whatever
your 'first' disk is (usually but nopt always /dev/hda or /dev/sda )
if this works we can try looking at their contents to find a) your /boot
filesystem (I assume this is a separate partition) and also b) your root
filesystem. this we do by
2. root (hd0,1)/<tab>
(repeat in turn for hd0,2 and 3 etc - all the partitions grub said it could
see) this should give you a list of the files and directories on each
filesystem... for /boot you are looking for filenames like
vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.760_FC3 and initrd-2.6.10-1.760_FC3.img
you root filesystem should have a filesystem label so we'll use that.
assuming your /boot filesystem is identified as (hd0,0) - it very often is
you type the following
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz<tab> ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd<tab>
boot

if you get more than one completion on the kernel and initrd lines, choose one
of them, just make sure you choose the same version number on each line...

if this gets you into you system we'll work on recreating the grub.conf file
that should have been there...

now practise bottom-posting in the next part of this saga...

HTH

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX, RTFM, ASAP