kudzu "Keep existing configuration" does not act as advertised

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Sat Mar 26 23:30:52 UTC 2005

> > > Thanks,
> > > Jonathan
> >
> > Hi Jonathon,
> > quick fix for this:
> > while it's booting...don't touch it...just let it timeout and let the
> > machine boot up. Soon as you are logged in
> > get to a terminal and:
> > # kudzu
> > one kudzu is up, have it reconfigure to satisfy itself.
> > all should be fine now.
> > after this...go to shutdown
> > and, God willing, you won't be bothered w/that again.
> > yes, ino, it's not right but this works for me when I add new hardware.
> > gl!
> >
> > John Rose
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure we are on the same page.  Let
> me try again.  I currently have devices connected to my system that
> Fedora (and thus kudzu) knows about.  The two that I mentioned before
> are my keyboard and USB printer.  Sometimes, whether from a quirk with
> the keyboard or from moving my laptop, these devices are not connected
> at startup.  kudzu doesn't like this and asks me whether or not I want
> it to remember that the device should be there.  I tell it to keep the
> configuration, but don't tell me again if you find it to be missing.
> However, the next time the device is missing, kudzu insists on telling
> me about it.  So, I'm not adding hardware, but temporarily removing
> hardware.  I just don't want kudzu to complain about the missing
> hardware.  It seems like that is what the "Keep existing
> configuration" option is supposed to do, but it doesn't.  If I'm
> correct, then this probably needs to be reported as a bug.  Any ideas?
>
> I know I can shut off the kudzu service.  For what all is it
> responsible?  Does it have anything to do with hotplug-like stuff?  If
> it has anything to do with configuring devices added after start-up
> (like USB devices), then I want to keep it, but if it only looks for
> changes on start-up, then I don't see the point.  This is treating the
> symptoms, though, not the problem.
>
> Jonathan

Whoa, Jonathon, I don't think we are on the same page. I offered you a
quick fix, something I do quite often. I don't know about correctness,
just something I do to get the job done and move on. Now, from what I
have read you have not even tried what I suggested so I really dunno
what else to say. I offered you something that was a completely
different option that was spelled out to you before but oh well, I do
hope you get your problem fixed.
jr

--
If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!