newbie of Fedora Core 3 or HomePNA

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 22:15:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:22:38 +0300, Vitali Samodurov <vitasam at rambler.ru> wrote:
> Hello,
> just installed Fedora Core 3 recently. I was
> very surprised, how Fedora correctly recognized
> my hardware. For example, Mandrake 10.x has troubles
> with Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti (I use to compiled nvidia's
> sources).
>
> I have troubles with network connection. Has anybody
> seen this kind of HomePNA network adapter?
> http://www.d-shop.fi/merchant/D-shop.nsf/Unids/35AD74BA5A5B3566C2256A700029907E?OpenDocument&read
>
> Drivers are for Win only. Do I have any possibility
> to get an Internet connection without extra hardware?
>
> Best regards,
> Vitali

Hi Vitali,

Well, I hate to tell you, but I think your best bet is to go out and
buy you a PCI network card (assuming you have a desktop, which should
be the case with a GeForce4 Ti).  It shouldn't be that expensive for a
plain 10/100 network card, and as long as you don't get something too
obscure, it should work fine in Linux.  Or do you need the phoneline
networking capability?  Of course, my inexpensive claim is based upon
prices in the US.  If they will ship to you, www.newegg.com has one
for about $5 (not including shipping) that even says it works with
Linux:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-130-107&depa=0

Your other option that may or may not work is to try using ndiswrapper
with the windows drivers: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/  I would
not count on it working though.  It doesn't say anything about Windows
XP, just 98 and ME, and it is wired not wireless, so it may not even
use NDIS.  If you cannot buy a PCI card, then you might try this.

Hope this helps.

--
Jonathan

Happy Easter!
"'Don't be alarmed,' he said. 'You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene,
who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where
they laid him.'" -- Mark 16:6 (NIV)