Mouse going wild in KVM

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Mar 28 15:19:01 UTC 2005

RL wrote:
> I have XP and Fedora  boxes in a belkin KVM.  It works fine until I
> switch to XP when I'm in Fedora (usually in GNOME) and then come back
> to the Fedora box. Usually my mouse goes wild and I have to kill X.
> What can be done to correct this?

Let me guess, it is a wheel mouse?  Those can work in two modes, old
legacy PS/2 (no wheel) and new IMPS/2.  Of course, if mouse is
initialize in one mode, and your OS thinks it is in the other, you'd get
what you described.  My guess is that one OS initialized mouse into
IMPS/2, and the other OS thinks the mouse is in old PS/2 mode.

Simply make sure you have configured mouse same in both Windows and Fedora.

BTW, some KVM switches (especially older ones, predating IMPS/2) have
problems with this.  I have one Belkin KVM switch that works fine, but
my old one (Star-something, don't remember name anymore) had problems
with it.

If all else fails, alternative is getting an older (probably no-wheel,
don't know if there are any wheel mouses that are not IMPS/2) mouse that
has only PS/2 mode (no support for IMPS/2).