xcdroast and k3b non-root permissions?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 28 15:58:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 00:53 +1000, Matthew Rex wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 23:25, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > >
> > > As a regular user I see no devices under settings/configure/devices. As
> > > root it recognises the CD writer...
> >
> > Do you have any symlinks for your CD writer device in /dev?
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/cd*
> >
> > If not, it's likely that udev has not detected your drive as a CD-Writer
> > and set up the device node with the appropriate permissions.
> >
> > What type of CD writer do you have and what device (in /dev) does it use
> > when you run k3b etc. as root?
> >

> I meant to put this in the previous post:
>
> brw-rw----  1 root disk 22, 0 Mar 28 21:25 /dev/hdc
>
> And /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions has "root:disk:0660" so
> that looks right I think?

The symlinks are being made in /dev OK, so udev is working properly.

What should be happening now is that /etc/security/console.perms and the
fstab entry for your cd writer should ensure that the ownership of the
device is set to the currently-logged-in user, and that's not happening
(unless you were logged in as root last time).

What's the fstab entry for your cd writer?

Mine's:
/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0
0
(all one line)

Paul.
--