the mail trail...sendmail

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 28 18:02:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 11:48 -0600, rado wrote:
> > > Sendmail sends mail & receives mail on port 25, as you have said.
> > > It also handles delivery of mail (i.e. puts new mail in /var/spool/user)
> >
> hi Paul!
> > Actually sendmail uses another program (the default in FC being
> > procmail) to handle local delivery. Sendmail runs the program it's
> > configured to use for local delivery to put the file
> > in /var/spool/mail/user or wherever (e.g. it will be different for
> > someone using the cyrus mail system).
> >
> > Paul.
> yes, I am using sendmail and procmail the evolution to read/reply etc
> k...so who actually dumps the mail in /var/spool/mail/rado/ sendmail or
> proc? I think sendmail actually puts it in the spool dir... just want
> that point clear  in my head.

Sendmail calls procmail to handle local delivery, so procmail is what
eventually dumps the mail there (by default).

If you are using evolution with a POP/IMAP server then the POP/IMAP
server retrieves the mail from /var/spool/mail/rado on the POP/IMAP
server and gives it to evolution, which then dumps the mail somewhere
under ~/.evolution on the machine on which you're running evolution.

> > > my main project here is bottom line, I am not interested in procmail's
> > > spam filtering techniques right now, I just want procmail and rsync
> >
> > Procmail is no spam filter.
>
> oh, googling...I have just seen web page headers, like "using procmail
> to filter spam", that sort of thing. that's why I referred it like so.

Yes, I use procmail to filter spam. But that is only one of the things
it can do.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>