DOM implementation for Linux?

Miles Sabin miles at milessabin.com
Mon Mar 28 18:21:35 UTC 2005

Aaron Gaudio wrote,
> Specifically, I'd like the ability for various applications to
> navigate/modify a DOM structure trasnparent to network and process,
> using the standard IDL (and hence, CORBA) provided by W3 for the DOM.
> Are there any existing libraries that allow this in Linux?

I don't think there are any DOM implementations on _any_ platform which
can be usefully exported via CORBA.

The W3C DOM WG only used CORBA IDL as a language-neutral API
specification language, and there wasn't any serious expectation that
the IDL would be used as IDL. If you look closely you'll notice that
the official target-language bindings (which are published alongside
the IDL in the DOM REC) don't exactly match what you'd expect to get if
you ran the offical IDL through an IDL compiler. In part this was
because there were a few things the WG needed which went beyond what
can be specified in IDL, and in part because they wanted to make the
bindings a little more idiomatic for the target languages. I forget the
exact details ...

Even if this wasn't the case, the official IDL would be pretty hopeless
for remote use: it's _much_ too fine-grained. I believe that the OMG
did some work on a DOM-like IDL which would actually be usable, but
I've no idea if that ever saw the light of day.

If you're wondering why on earth the WG did things this way, bear in
mind that this was all going on at the height of the browser/Java wars:
the WG was attempting to keep all the major players on board and not
alienate any of them by making any firm commitment to _any_ particular
host language. As is usual with this kind of committee driven exercise
in compromise the end result is something that nobody's particularly
happy with.

Cheers,

Miles