Please include kernel-source in your main distribution cds itself

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Mar 28 19:17:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:11:42PM -0000, Dr Siva Sankar M. wrote:

> Hi
> I usually get my Fedora Distribution from books or magazines. I cannot
> download them as I have just a dial-up net (mere 3kbps). You have
> stopped including kernel-source in your distro cds inspite of having
> more than 60MB in the first 3 cds and more than 300MB in the fourth
> cd. It is very diffucult for many people like me who have dial-up and
> need kernel-source for compiling additional drivers or for fine tuning
> kernel, to download the kernel-soruce separately. It would be nice if
> you distribute it in the main 4 distro cds. please think about this.

Dear Dr. Sankar.
I'm afraid you don't understand what Fedora is.  Fedora is a
development community working of producing an Open Linux Distribution
called fedora.  This group does not produce the CD's you buy when you
buy a book.  Those CD;s are produced by the book's publisher and that
publisher makes the decision on whether to include the source code
CD's with their book.

PS. Please don't post email in HTML. It's the mark of a rank newbie (and
therefore forgivable in newcomers). It causes many problems for the
list (especially the digest), and many of the most knowledgeable members
of the list don't read HTML postings. (They are filtered out for security
reasons).  Since those are the people whom you most want to have read
your emails its in your best interests to post them in a format that
will get read by all.

--
Jargon file, abrgd.: The September that never ended. On the Internet,
every September's freshmen influx got their first accounts and, not

http://kinz.org
http://www.fedoranews.org