Please include kernel-source in your main distribution cds itself

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 19:43:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:17:40 -0500, Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:11:42PM -0000, Dr Siva Sankar M. wrote:
> >

> > Hi
> > I usually get my Fedora Distribution from books or magazines. I cannot
> > download them as I have just a dial-up net (mere 3kbps). You have
> > stopped including kernel-source in your distro cds inspite of having
> > more than 60MB in the first 3 cds and more than 300MB in the fourth
> > cd. It is very diffucult for many people like me who have dial-up and
> > need kernel-source for compiling additional drivers or for fine tuning
> > kernel, to download the kernel-soruce separately. It would be nice if
> > you distribute it in the main 4 distro cds. please think about this.
>
> Dear Dr. Sankar.
> I'm afraid you don't understand what Fedora is.  Fedora is a
> development community working of producing an Open Linux Distribution
> called fedora.  This group does not produce the CD's you buy when you
> buy a book.  Those CD;s are produced by the book's publisher and that
> publisher makes the decision on whether to include the source code
> CD's with their book.
>
> PS. Please don't post email in HTML. It's the mark of a rank newbie (and
> therefore forgivable in newcomers). It causes many problems for the
> list (especially the digest), and many of the most knowledgeable members
> of the list don't read HTML postings. (They are filtered out for security
> reasons).  Since those are the people whom you most want to have read
> your emails its in your best interests to post them in a format that
> will get read by all.

[snip]

> http://kinz.org
> http://www.fedoranews.org
> Jeff Kinz, Emergent Research, Hudson, MA.

Linux.org has a list,
http://www.linux.org/vendor/retailer/distribution.html , of Linux
vendors.    You should be able to find a vendor who is geographically
close to you.  If not, try Distrowatch, http://www.distrowatch.com.
Their Fedora Core 3 source CDs were under $8US the last time I
checked.