the mail trail...sendmail

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 29 11:53:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 19:34 -0600, rado wrote:
> > You do curious things ;)
> wow do I do curious things!!! hahaha
>
> > If we are speaking about INBOX mail accessed via POP3, then only rsync
> > the /var/spool/mail/$USER file. This is the one which counts. To be sure
> > no fresh new incoming mail interferes, shut down Sendmail during the
> > rsync processing. Be aware that POP3 mail clients have their own list
> > about mail being read or new. That is not stored on the server side.
> >
> > Alexander
> timing, you are quick! 8 posts later and I posted what you speak of
> right here!.
> yes, service sendmail stop first then rsync -opg /var/spool/mail/* root
> (dest)/var/spool/mail/
> preserve all the permissions,owners and group
> hey, I am not saying this is totally complete or even totally correct
> technique wise, but at least it works in this specific case. lol.
> And you were w/me all the way, ty for that, Alexander!
>
> I'm just trying to push FC3 and my ownself here w/this project.
> I am trying to use only what came on the FC3 disks for this complete
> project. The only outside rpm I might use for this is Bob Chiodini's
> "heartbeat". I don't even think we need that really. That's up to him if
> we do or not.
>
> This Mail sync thing was really a major pain and if this proves that
> it's all that is necessary for this then we lucky.
>
> thx
> John Rose

Good Morning,

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately :-).  Someone here maybe
able to answer this.  Since John's mail volume is relatively low, is
there a way through sendmail to force the rsync after each received
email is processed?  Something in sendmail.mc/sendmail.cf, after it runs
procmail, a macro perhaps?

Bob...