More info on the kernel problem

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 15:08:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:43:51AM -0500, Mark Haney wrote:

> Man this is really getting silly.  After a clean and re-install of
> FC3 on the machine giving me the CUPS hang on boot everything was
> great.  I updated to the latest and greatest and all was well,
> except....for when I booted with the latest kernel (.770 I think).
> When I boot to this kernel cups hangs my system again.  When I boot
> with the original kernel (2.6.9-1.337?) cups loads just fine and
> dandy.

Please be clear that this is a *kernel* problem, not a CUPS problem.
Other similar reports lead me to suspect that the parallel port driver
might be to blame in some way.

Does this help?:

chmod -x /usr/lib*/cups/backend/parallel

If so, it's definitely the kernel parallel port driver at fault.

Tim.
*/