Kmail top/bottom reply

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Mar 30 00:32:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 16:50 -0700, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
wrote:
> Anyone know how to change the default behavior for Kmail per wether it posts a
> reply at the top or bottom of the original email message. The default seems
> to be at the top and i would like to change it to the bottom. Of course I
> could just move the cursor down but it would be helpful if Kmail did it for
> me...

This doesn't answer your question, but I thought this might be of
interest. This option is often requested on the Evolution list, and the
standard reply the developers give for *not* doing this actually makes a
lot of sense to me. The gist is: in business email where the convention
is to top-post and not trim replied text the top is the correct position
for the cursor; in mailing lists, etc., where the convention is to
interleave your reply with the relevant parts of the replied-to text,
you are also meant to trim the irrelevant replied-to text. This requires
you to work down the replied-to text, either deleting what you don't
want or typing your replies after the text you do want. Therefore, the
top is also the best place for the cursor in the latter context as well,
so in fact it is the best place for the cursor in all eventualities.

That makes sense to me.

Best, Darren