top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Mar 30 19:24:41 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Thomas Cameron wrote:
>
>> So I guess there's no room for tolerance of other people's
>> preferences?  I mean, really - is it *that* hard to follow a thread
>> that is top-posted?  Is it *really* worth getting so worked up over?
>
> argh.  using *exactly* that same logic, i can turn around and ask, is
> there no room for people to adjust to fit the standard operating
> behaviour of the list?  is it *that* hard to configure your mailer to
> do the right thing?  is it *really* worth getting so worked up over
> adapting to what is clearly common list etiquette?
>
> don't ask the question unless you can answer it.

I do (and recommend) the things you ask.  But I don't get worked up about it
if someone else doesn't.

You haven't answered my question...  Why is this such a big deal?
Seriously?  I'm not trying to troll or flame-bait.  I genuinely don't
understand why it is such a big deal.

As I've said before, the vast majority of the users on this list use MUAs
which can handle HTML messages just fine[1].  And following a thread which
is top-posted is not difficult for me.  I can't imagine it is for you...
You're obviously a bright fellow.

I guess I just don't understand why the vociferous minority should rule.
"Because it's always been that way" isn't a valid answer.  If that were the
case then we'd still be required to marry our brother's wife if he died and
kill people who work on Sunday.  :-o

> rday
>
> p.s.  if you've never heard of the "broken window" syndrome, let me
> recommend googling and taking a quick read.

I'm familiar with it.  But I don't think that adapting to the reality of
modern electronic cummunications is the same as having an abandoned vehicle
on my curb.

Thomas

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-March/msg01029.html