Yum 2.2 w/ HTTP proxy fails w/ error "Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:"

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 20:46:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:40:09 +0100, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 22:35 +0100, Mike Fleetwood wrote:
> > Recently "yum check-update" and "yum update" has started producing the
> > error "Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: ...".  Googling suggests
> > that other occurrences have been caused by network connectivity errors
> > or miss configured yum repository locations.  I am convinced that in my
> > case it is yum 2.2's inability to successfully download files through a
> > HTTP proxy that is the problem.  To work around the problem I
> > reinstalled yum 2.1 and upgrade using "yum --exclude=yum update".
>
> yum 2.2 provides a way to specify the proxy globally or separately for
> each repo if required (see "man yum.conf"). Did you try that?
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>

The OP commented out the baseurl line in
/et/cyum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo leaving only mirrorlist as the
repositoryid.  Per 'man yum.conf':

       baseurl
              Must  be  a  URL  to  the  directory where the yum repository's
              'repodata' directory  lives.  Can  be  an  http://,  ftp://  or
              file://  URL.  You  can  specify  multiple  URLs in one baseurl
              statement. The best way to do this is like this:
              [repositoryid]
              name=Some name for this repository
              baseurl=url://server1/path/to/repository/
                      url://server2/path/to/repository/
                      url://server3/path/to/repository/
              If you list more than one baseurl= statement  in  a  repository
              you will find yum will ignore the earlier ones and probably act
              bizarrely. Don't do this, you've been warned.

       mirrorlist
              Specifies a URL to a file containing a list of  baseurls.  This
              can be used instead of or with the baseurl option. Substitution
              variables, described below, can be used with this option.

Either the mirrorlist list is defective or there is a bug in yum-2.2.