Cant detect Hard Drive while installing Fedora Core 3 on Dell 8400

Jeramy Ross kb5whv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:29:37 UTC 2005

Hi Shawn,

> I am having some toruble installing FC3 on my dell 8400. It tells me it hasnt deteced a Hard >Drive and I will need to manually set it up. I am very new to alot of this and do not know what >I am looking for to set this up. I have a sata hard drive (what ever generic brand dell gives >you) and don't know where to find what I need to get FC3 to detect my hard drive. If you need >more information to help answer this send me a message. Thanks for the help.

The simple solution is to go into your BIOS setup at boot (by pressing
'F2' while the initial Dell boot screen is up).  Once in BIOS setup,
drill down to your drives, and there should be an entry for the
controller.  Select this, and you will see a few options and it will
be defaulted to "RAID  autodetect" unless you've changed it.   For FC3
to install and work properly, you will need to select the
"Combination" mode.

As a side note, and semi-unrelated to the original post, for other
distributions I've been playing around with lately, the "Combination"
mode does not work, and you have to set it to "RAID autodetect/ATA"
(Ubuntu for example).

Best wishes,
Jeramy