modem keeps disappearing

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Thu Mar 31 04:37:38 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:

>> I'm having a disappearing modem problem. I put in the computer, it
>> gets recognized by kudzu, and it comes up working. I use it to dial
>> in to an old mainframe. Kermit sees it, and I have ProComm for DOS
>> running under dosemu. All seems well. I shut down the computer, and
>> when it comes back up, it has disappeared. So far, I've only been
>> able to recover it by removing it and rebooting, and then
>> reinstalling it and rebooting. It seemed to be a problem with a
>> lockfile earlier on, but, that's no longer the case. Can anyone offer
>> an idea? I've searched the list and read the configuration manuals
>> from Redhat, but there is precious little said about modems for
>> old-style dialup.
>

> I reply to myself - the modem is not disappearing. By doing a kudzu -p
> I was able to determine that the modem is still configured and is set
> to ttyS14 - when I used that to connect via Kermit and ProComm just
> now, I got in. So, does anyone know why, is it called the 'symbolic
> link' /dev/modem?, keeps disappearing?

Claude, I do not recall seeing your issue raised on the list before.  It
may have been and I just did not see the thread or do not remember it.

The absence of any respoonses to your query, though, suggests that
readers of the messagee have not come up with any answers to your
question(s).  Have you considered filing a bugzilla report on the issue?