java applet input problem?

Alimin Bijosono Oei alimin_oei at myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 31 10:36:27 UTC 2005

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:11:23 +1000, Alimin Bijosono Oei
> <alimin_oei at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I am running FC3 here and recently encountered a problem with
>>> typing inputs to an opened java applet window from
>>> http://www.global-view.com/fxtrekcharts.html. When clicking on
>>> Indicators on the toolbar, and then selecting to one of the
>>> indicators, say Exponential Moving Average > New, a java applet
>>> window is supposed to pop up and allow us to input the
>>> parameters.
>>>
>>> I used to be able to do this but now after updating my Fedora box
>>> to the latest bunch of updates available the problem appears. I
>>> am not sure if this is the problem with the java applet itself or
>>> it is related to java installed on Fedora or something else. Can
>>> anyone verify this? (I tried opening the same page with latest
>>> Opera, Firefox, Mozilla, and Konqueror, all with the same
>>> result). Thanks a lot for any help provided.
>>>
>>> Alimin
>>>

> Works fine for me. firefox-1.0.2-1.3.1 jre-1.5.0-fcs
>
> If I do exactly what you said, I get a box with: -- Java Applet
> Window EMA Period:  [10] [OK] [CANCEL] --
>
> Are you sure you have Java correctly installed?
>

> -- ------------------------------------------------------------------
> Gustavo Seabra Graduate Student Chemistry Dept. Kansas State
> University Registered Linux user number 381680
> at first you don't succeed... ...skydiving is not for you.

Thanks Gustavo,

Yes, you have got the expected result. This is very strange. I am not
sure whether this is problem with playing wine/winetools package or
having the j2re package from dag wieers, but I managed to solve this
problem by removing both of them and get the java plugin from jre-1.5.0
linked to my browser i.e. firefox. Thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers,
Alimin