installing Request Tracker 3.4.1 on FC3

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu Mar 31 15:05:24 UTC 2005

Hi Robert,

On Wed, 2005-30-03 at 16:54 -0600, Robert Citek wrote:
> Has anyone successfully installed Request Tracker 3.4.1 on Fedora Core
> 3?

Yes!  I set up RT (3.2.2) for my business recently on FC3, but in the
past have run RT on RH9, FC1 and WBEL.  I will hopefully soon be able to
move RT to CentOS.

> We tried the RPM for RH9/FC1, but ran in to all kinds of dependency
> issues.  We've also tried installing from the tarball and following the
> instructions, which was also a major headache.

Installing from source is your absolute best bet with Red Hat based
distros since, as far as I know, RPMS are rather lacking.

> Any hints to getting Request Tracker working on FC3?

Off hand:

- you'll need to upgrade MySQL since RT 3.4.1 requires MySQL 4+
- I built MySQL from the Fedora devel RPMS, and it works, but I
  keep getting errors about the password type not being supported
  by the MySQL client on the server.  Easy enough to get around,
  but  it means using the older password format in MySQL
- you may encounter SELinux problems, but I've noticed the latest
  SELinux policies no longer generate denials (I had to run in
  permissive mode just to get RT to work).
- getting FastCGI to work was a massive undertaking, although
  that's entirely because I'm not an Apache guru.

Search this list, the Fedora SELinux list, and the RT list for posts by
me about running RT on FC3.

> Is there a yum or apt repository that has RPMs?

None that I know of.  I've looked too, but I haven't found anything.
Again, installing from source is fairly easy, so I haven't missed RPMS.

If you're still in need of assistance, send me an email off-list: I can
help you out.

HTH,

Ranbir
--