TOP POSTING

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 16:15:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:02:02 -0600, Nix, Robert P. <Nix.Robert at mayo.edu> wrote:

> LET THIS DIE! TAKE IT OFF THE LIST! You ARE losing subscribers over something stupid and unnecessary. Again, JUST LET THIS DIE.

I've not piped up in this discussion simply because it's not important
to me, but this comment struck me.   My personal take is that it's
"stupid and unnecessary" to unsubscribe from the list over this
conversation.  I can't really drum up a lot of sympathy for someone
that's offended by something they see on the Internet.

I think it's fairly obvious (to me at least) what kind of value this
list provides.  If someone is willing to give up on that value simply
because the signal to noise ratio deteriorates for a few days, then
more power to them.  While I appreciate your concern that a resource
you find valuable is being "abandoned" by some folks, I'd ask that you
keep in mind that with the number of subscribers fedora-list has,
there will be someone, somewhere, offended by something at any given
moment. There will always be folks that are willing to throw up their
hands in disgust at the slightest provocation, you're not going to be
able to retain these people regardless.

I'm not terribly concerned that some people are choosing to leave the
list.  The folks leaving (as near as I can tell) are consumers of the
information here.  If the providers of the information were leaving in
droves, then I might be concerned.  The people leaving are basically
"cutting off their noses to spite their faces" as my mother would put
it.  Anyway, these are simply my opinions.

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown