Bluecurve theme disappeared following RH9 to FC3 upgrade

Mike Fleetwood mike at rockover.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 20:42:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, James Wilkinson wrote:

> Mike Fleetwood wrote:
>> After upgraded directly from RH9 to FC3 the Gnome desktop is very
>> spartan and not displaying the Bluecurve theme.  Instead a default
>> desktop is displayed with virtually empty panels.  After adding the
>> Main Menu it only contains names and no icons.  Lost more ugly
>> default theme everywhere, no key binding including Alt-TAB, etc ...
>>
>> Also running gnome-theme-manager (Main Menu / Preferences / Theme)
>> produces an error dialog box containing:
>>   The default there schemas could not be found on your system.  This
>>   means that you probably don't have meatcity installed, or that your
>>   gconf is configured incorrectly.
>>
>> metacity-theme-viewer reports loading "Atlanta" theme.
>>
>> Is there someway to get Bluecurve theme and associated settings back?
>
> I asked:
>> Does adding a new test user get what you want? If so, you may want to
>> copy the ~/.gnome* and ~/.gconf* directories somewhere else and re-start
>> X.
>
> Mike replied:
>> Unfortunately this made no difference.
>>
>> A brand new test user still had the same problem.  Even took the machine
>> to run level 1 and killed gconfd and a few other processes before
>> returning to run level 5 and testing the user for the first time.
>
> Hmm. Since it's an upgrade, I assume that you're still on x86, not
> x86-64 (which might involve multi-arch issues).
>
> What does
> rpm -V redhat-artwork
> and possibly
> rpm -V gnome-utils metacity
> show?

Correct assumption.  x86 arch before and after.
These RPMs are installed and report no verification problems, hence
Bluecurve is installed.

I have been doing some reading of Gnome, its configuration and GConf.
   gconftool-2 -R / | grep 'no value set' | wc -l
Reports 554 unset values.  Some of them look relevant.  Is there a way to
on mass reset all my GConf settings to those Bluecurve sets?

Thanks,
Mike
--