synaptics / alps touchpad

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Mar 31 21:00:07 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Does the latest FC3 kernel (770_FC3) have the necessary patches to
> work with a synaptics touchpad?  That is, does anyone have synaptics
> working with the stock FC3 kernel (without re-compiling or anything
> like that)?

I don't know about FC3, but FC2's kernel 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 is fairly similar,
and I have a synaptics touch-pad working fairly well.

Or, actually I don't have the touch-pad working at all, because the only
thing I want to do with my touch-pad is to TURN OFF THE DAMN THING,
especially the BLEEPING TAP-TO-CLICK.  The bleeping touch-pad's default
configuration is so sensitive that mere vibration of air molecules appear to
be sufficient to generate mouse-clicks at random intervals.

I'm using the synaptics 0.12.5 driver for X, and here's the relevant
snippets from xorg.conf.  Hope this helps.

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "synaptics"
  Identifier    "Mouse0"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
  Option        "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
  Option        "LeftEdge"      "1700"
  Option        "RightEdge"     "5300"
  Option        "TopEdge"       "1700"
  Option        "BottomEdge"    "4200"
  Option        "FingerLow"     "25"
  Option        "FingerHigh"    "30"
# Turn this sucker off!!!
#  Option        "MaxTapTime"    "180"
  Option        "MaxTapTime"    "0"
  Option        "MaxTapMove"    "220"
  Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
  Option        "MinSpeed"      "0.06"
  Option        "MaxSpeed"      "0.12"
  Option        "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
  Option        "SHMConfig"     "on"
#  Option       "Repeater"      "/dev/ps2mouse"
  Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
  Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

The blasted thing is for all practical purposes dead now, and I can do my
business with a regular mouse.