makewhatis - out of nowhere

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun May 1 19:45:02 UTC 2005

sly wrote:
> i installed fc3 1 week ago and since some weired things are happening. out of nowhere the hdd starts going off like crazy, the cpu runs at 100%, the temperature goes up.
> all these are caused by "makewhatis". witch i don't know how it started and why. and worst of all is that i can't kill it!
> anybody had experience this?
>

 > I have to give a seminar using OO.o Impress / FC3, in a Dell Inspiron
 > 8600 laptop. I wonder if anyone could give me a hint on how to make it
 > work with a projector.

Prelink also hogs the CPU and causes a similar problem as you describe.
Rather than disable all of these services, adding preference entries for
controlling background processes to run at lower percntages would be a
better approach.

A twenty to thirty degree temperature rise caused by a background
process bogging down the processor is a bad approach for background
processes. Having processes disabled that are useful is not the answer
either.

Jim

--
A New York City ordinance prohibits the shooting of rabbits from the
rear of a Third Avenue street car -- if the car is in motion.