Gnome Pilot: Initalize palmOne Treo under FC3

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Mon May 2 18:54:18 UTC 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 12:47, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 14:12 -0400, Charles E. White wrote:
> > I'm a newbie to Linux using Fedora Core 3 and a palmOne Treo (Palm OS
> > 5.2.1). I've Googled, searched the fedora-list archive, and executed
> > instruction found at http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gnome-pilot/. Two
> > error messages follow:
> >
> > Error Message 1:
> > [root at localhost chuck]# pilot-xfer -l
> >    No $PILOTPORT specified and no -p <port> given.
> >    Defaulting to '/dev/pilot'
> >    ERROR: No such file or directory (2)
> >
> >    Error accessing: '/dev/pilot'. Does '/dev/pilot' exist?
> >    Please use --help for more information
> >
> > Error Message 2 (obtained from '/dev/pilot'):
> > This link can't be used, because its target "/dev/ttyUSB1" doesn't
> > exist.
> >
> > Additional Background:
> > FC3 Machine: Sony Vaio PCG-GRX520 (Laptop with no old style serial
> > ports)
> > FC3 Updates: All installed using up2date
> > Random Observation on '/dev/': Browsing the directory, I don't see any
> > ttyUSBx.
> >
> > If you've read this far, you're a real trooper! Thanks for your time and
> > I hope you can help.
>
> ----
> http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php
>
> Craig

If it's a udev issue (i.e. the device goes away when not in use) then this may
help:

Try creating a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules with this content:

BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld*", KERNEL="ttyUSB*", SYMLINK="pilot"

Seemed to do the trick for me.  If it doesn't work, you can also try adding a
file called /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-visor.permissions with this content:

ttyUSB1:$local:uucp:0660

For more info, look at this site:

http://www.clasohm.com/blog/one-entry?entry_id=12096