Graphic problems after FC3 startup process.

luis.bermudez at att.net luis.bermudez at att.net
Mon May 2 20:22:28 UTC 2005

Over the weekend I removed Windows XP and tried to install FC3 on my brand new Dell Inspiron 600m.  I succeeded, even in getting the modem working (thanks to Linuxant), except for a small problem.  Sometimes after I switch on the machine and it goes through the startup process, either in graphical or text mode (it doesn't matter), and before getting the login screen, the windows freezes and I loose control over the laptop leaving me the only option of switching it off.  Sometimes the screen freezes just when the status bar gets the 100% of processes done and some other times it gets blank right after this and without showing the mouse.

After re-starting the machine (improperly switch off) I check the file system integrity and then it normally goes through the start up processes and reaches the login screen allowing me then to log on.

During the installation I selected the Generic LCD monitor with a 1400x1050 resolution (although I am using 1280x1024).

The FC3 distribution I installed comes with the 2.6.9-1.667 kernel and a brief description of the hardware I got in this laptop is:

Intel Pentium M Processor 745 (1.80 GHz/400 MHz)
14.1 Inches SXGA+ 64Mb Video (ATI Technologies Inc. Radeon Mobility 9000 M9)
Memory 1.024 Mb DDR 266MHz SDRAM 2 Dimms
Hard drive 60 Gb

Although I use Linux every day, I am a user and my knowledge of system administration is very limited.  That is why I am sending you this e-mail with the hope you know what is going on and can help me to fix this annoying problem.  Thanks.

- Luis