dual boot problems-bootmagic

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed May 4 06:54:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 18:35 -0500, hanfamily at earthlink.net wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Mauriat wrote:
>
> > > I bought a new compaq computer with win xp partitioned the
> > > drive installed fedora with grub to load. I had everything
> > > working then I booted windows it goes into pc recovery and
> > > overwrites the boot section so it only will boot windows.
> > > Is there a way to get this to work?  If not is there a
> > > way to make a boot cd to access the linux partition.
> >
> > Just an idea:
> > Try re-installing grub to your boot partition or root partition
> > (wherever you boot) and then use the NT boot loader in XP to load
> > linux. This way you are not re-writing the MBR.
> > http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
> > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html
> >
> > Mauriat
> >

> I  checked these out but they seem to all require a floppy drive
> which is missing on my computer. Partition Magic also has boot magic
> has anyone had any luck using it to dual boot xp and fedora?

Using bootpart does not require a floppy disk. It is a way of setting up
the Windows bootloader so that it can boot Linux. You will, however,
need to install grub on the root or /boot partition of your Fedora
installation. What does the partitioning of your disk look like? Can you
boot from the rescue CD (or 1st Fedora install CD and enter "linux
rescue" at the boot: prompt) and enter "fdisk -l" at the shell prompt?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>