Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 4 21:19:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:04, William Hooper wrote:
> Jay Lee wrote:
> > wgetting
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc3
> > shows a list of possible mirrors and I assume yum randomly selects one to
> > use each time (resulting in each request behind a proxy hitting a
> > different mirror).  What would be ideal is if that url was dynamic and
> > returned a single mirror url for yum to use.
>
> You would loose the ability to fail over to another mirror if something
> was wrong with that one URL.  Also you would increase load on the
> fedora.redhat.com server because it would have to generate this file for
> every request rather than serving a static file.

On the other hand, if DNS returned multiple addresses for one name,
the load would be spread among the sites automatically, caching
proxies would do the right thing, you wouldn't have to keep
redistributing the mirror list, and failing over could be handled
by the application (even IE does this nicely so it can't be that
hard...).  The down side is that the participating target sites
all have to be configured so the URLs can be the same.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com