Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed May 4 21:49:58 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:

>>>It is configured to do that be default now, yes.
>>>

>>Ouch - that is very cache-unfriendly.
>

> It is much, much more mirror friendly, though.

It's hopeless. Mirrors that only serve their country or smaller
geographic region are excluded. Such as Planetmirror, Australia's
larget, AARNET that serves Australia's education community, WAIX that
serves select Western Australian IAPs (those who contribute) along with
eqquivalents in other Australian states.

Enzed has Enzed-only mirrors too.

It's hopeless. I'm on dialup, There is no possibility of my
well-configured Squid caching stuff, and there is too much to
realistically download stuff multiple times.

In contrast, Debian uses several of Australia's mirrors, with no drama
at all.

For folk in my position, apt-get has an option to print the URIs for
required packages. Its not good for "the average user" but itbeats not
having the capability.I don't see a way of doing that with yum.

My laptop, I update at work. For home, _I_ could set a local repository,
but that is not a good general solution. It's only one a geek would
think good.

--

Cheers
John