Problems installing Fedora Core 3

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed May 4 23:13:57 UTC 2005

Daniel Whalen wrote:
> I am having problems installing Fedora Core 3 on an old system I had laying
> around that I wanted to turn into a print server.
>
> The computer in question is an old NEC Pentium MMX 266, and the problem I am
> running into is that it just won't seem to boot from the CD Rom drive
> (adjusted it in the bios), instead it seems to skip over my Fedora disc
> entirely.

A newer CD drive might help. Seriously.

> I did a little bit of looking and found a program that was supposed to allow
> me to boot from a CD via my floppy drive called smart boot manager
> http://btmgr.webframe.org/index.php3?body=about.html but it just gave me a
> "non system disk" error when I started up with it in the floppy drive.

A daughter (hear from my daughters when they have computer or car
problems) had a problem like this. I said "dud floppy." After some
discussion she binned it and tried a few more.

Later she reported binning quite a few.

> I think that because of the age of the system, it just does not support
> booting from CD rom (despite what the BIOS may indicate), and hopefully
> somebody here can point me in the direction of a program that will get the
> boot started from my floppy drive.

It might be the CD drive is a bit picky about CDs it reads, there were
problems like this with early CDs and CD-R media. CD-RW is worse.