TV Torrents for linux

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu May 5 16:19:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-05 at 18:18 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Hi all,
>   A friend of mine has told me about torrents and sites for windows, ie
> torrentopia.  Is there anything similar to that for linux that I can use
> to download TV shows from popular torrent sites, or do I have to use
> linux specific torrent sites?  I dont know anything about torrents, I
> heard from a friend that its an easy way to download TV shows that I
> have missed...  Also, will they play in XINE?  I am using FC3 with
> newest kernel if that helps...
> Charles

Most of the files you will get will need the W32 codec set.

I prefer Mplayer {gmplayer}, but Xine might work if you have
support for the right codecs.

Paul mentioned that it is illegal to download TV shows in the
USA. Since you are using gmail you may not be in the USA. In
Canada it is NOT illegal to download the TV show, but it IS
illegal to provide the show for upload. By default torrent
requires you to provide the file you are dowloading for upload
by others at least as long as you are downloading. It is common
courtesy to provide a full upload for each download. Since you
are providing the file for upload you will be liable in Canada
as well. It would be prudent for you to determine the laws in
your area regarding uploading and downloading copyrighted
material.