Middle button not working with Creative Notebook Optical mouse

Wolfgang wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Fri May 6 11:31:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 10:59 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Wolfgang wrote:

> >>Yes, when using those I do get middle-click *emulation*. - Actually, I
> >>thought I tried that earlier and that it didn't work, but apparently
> >>system-config-mouse didn't update xorg.conf...
> >>
> >>I'd still prefer the real thing, though. I mean, it seems to me that a
> >>switch is activated if I press down the scroll wheel, but X doesn't seem
> >>to understand the signal (presumably) being sent.
> >>
> >>- Toralf
> >>

> >If you are using a mouse with 3 buttons, you don't need the
> >'emulate3buttons' option in xorg.cfg. Remove it.. It's there for people
> >who have two button mice, where you press both buttons to simulate the
> >middle button, hence giving you 3 buttons.
> >

> I think you missed the point here.
>
> The mouse has 3 buttons, but X or the console mouse service on a Fedora
> Core 3 setup doesn't understand that it does; nothing happens if I press
> the middle button.
>
> - Toralf

No, I haven't missed the point. If you setup your Xorg.cfg like the
person suggested above, and set the 'Emulate3buttons' to 'NO' then it
will work. I have an 8 button mouse and all the buttons work. And I have
it configured that way.

Plus, for some reason you always need to configure the mouse up
manually, as NO distribution I've used to date, detects the mice
correctly.

Wolf