slmodemd on FC3?

Yuandan Zhang yzhang4 at turing.une.edu.au
Fri May 6 23:54:09 UTC 2005

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Yuandan Zhang wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> it seems  related to slamr module building. The slmodemd did not
>> started. Thus, I can't find any /dev/tyySL0
>>
>> here is error output.
>>
>> Please check for me
>>
>> Yuandan
>>

>> # /usr/sbin/slmodemd  -c AUSTRALIA
>> error: mdm setup: cannot open dev `/dev/slamr0': No such device or
>> address
>> error: cannot setup device `/dev/slamr0'
>>
>> #/sbin/modprobe slamr
>> FATAL: Error inserting slamr
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/extra/slamr.ko): Unknown symbol in
>> module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>>
>> #dmesg
>> slamr: Unknown symbol get_device
>> slamr: Unknown symbol put_device
>> slamr: Unknown symbol device_release_driver
>

> Thw slamr driver is a proprietary binary-only module.  When FC
> introduced ALSA support, I switched to the ALSA drivers and have not
> had any problems.
>
> Build slmodemd in the modem/ subdirectory with:
>
>         make SUPPORT_ALSA=1
>
> Start slmodemd in the same directory (as root) with:
>
>     ./slmodemd --alsa -c AUSTRALIA
>
> (or install slmodemd in /usr/sbin or /usr/local/sbin (probably better)
> and start it there the same way.  You may need to modprobe
> snd_intel8x0m, but you do not need to modprobe slamr.
>
> Note that not all PCTel modems are supported this way.  In fact, not
> all are supported by slamr either.  If you still have problems, visit
> www.linmodems.org and check out the scanModem utility and other
> resources there.

Thanks for suggest, I will try alsa support late. However, I rolled back
to slmodem 2.9.9d. it works. I narrow the prebloms down to
/sbin/modprobe slamr, NOT WORK.

using 2.9.9d, instead of 2.9.10, following steps lead to dial up

after compilation and install

/sbin/modprobe slamr

/usr/sbin/slmodemd -c AUSTRALIA &

Using kppp and /dev/ttySL0 as modem device to dial up.