Playing DVDs using totem?

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Sun May 8 13:40:05 UTC 2005

>Others in list have reported sucess with Totem.  You
>just need certain packages and it will work.  If I
>remember correctly something like gstreamer???? and
>other plugins will make it work.

What I was trying to say, was that I already tried this, and it still
won't play my DVDs..

>[ ... ]
>

>Sorry to add to tbe discussion, but I have a few
>remarks to add, I have both xine, and MPlayer on my
>pcs and I don't have any problems.  Most Dvd's play
>without a hiccup.

How do you define "most"?

>There are the frontends for xine
>http://xinehq.de/index.php/download
>I can't complain about the frontend for xine the
>xine-ui might not be the best but it works!
>
>To install xine I obtain the rpms from
>http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/.
>I follow almost all the instructions there.  you can
>get RealPlayer and install the w32codecs to play
>windows media/quicktime and other formats.
>
>As for MPlayer, you can install kplayer which is a
>nice frontend for MPlayer.
>
>I have no complains as both players work for me and as
>far as ogle is concerned, it never worked for me.  I
>tried it in Mandrake, and Fedora Core 2 and 3 and it
>did not work.  They say it is real good, but it never
>worked for me.  So I can't rate it.

Really? My experience has been exactly the opposite. Ogle has generally
worked, but I've had all sorts of problems with the others - especiall
mplayer. I've mainly tested it on network streams etc., though, and for
those it will generally crash, hang or just give me a black screen at
some point during the playback. As for DVDs, I think that when I tried a
while back, I had a hard time finding out how exactly to tell mplayer it
what to play - DVD menu support was non-existant. Right now, it won't
display anything except the initial blue screen if I select "Open DVD".
It then crashes as I right-click on the video window. That's with the
Gtk frontend, and using mplayerhq's own packages.

I did get some problems with Ogle right now, though, after upgrading all
the libdvd stuff etc. in an attempt to get the other players to work.
I'm investing the issue...

- Toralf