gnome or kde

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun May 8 20:57:02 UTC 2005

Charles Li wrote (about a "slow" machine):
> I am using a p2-mmx 400mhz

In my experience, most of what you do under either Gnome or KDE is not
particularly CPU-bound (i.e. a faster CPU doesn't buy you anything). And
when you are CPU-bound, it's not the environment that's the limiting
factor.

As people have been suggesting, it's the amount of memory you have in
the machine that slows things down. 256 MB is fine, 192 MB is pushing
things a bit, 128 MB could be problematical.

I'm not sure where you are or how much spare money you have, but extra
memory is cheap and will give a box that age another long lease of life.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Remember, half-measures can be very effective if
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | all you deal with are half-wits.