Install grub to CD, but use HD grub.conf?

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Mon May 9 12:31:25 UTC 2005

   I need to create a grub boot CD for a laptop so that I can dual boot
FC3 with Windows without touching the laptop drive's MBR.

   This seems straightforward enough if I hard-code the kernel version
to use (in a CD menu.lst), but can I do it in such a way as to make the
CD grub read the HD grub.conf so that it'll automatically work after
kernel upgrades?

   Kernels seem to no longer maintain symlinks in /boot of vxlinuz
(etc.) to the latest version, otherwise I'd probably be able to use that.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature