Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Mon May 9 13:35:14 UTC 2005

On Sun, 08 May 2005 10:57:26 -0400
Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:

> My laptop has a  built-in compactflash reader.  Never had a
> chance to use it, but as far as I  can tell Linux sees it, and it has an
> mountable icon in Gnome.
>
> Now, if you get some big-name Dell or HP, with a built-in flash reader,
> what  do you think your chances are of seeing Linux even be aware that
> the bloody  thing exists?

I've no experience with Dell or HP machines and Linux, but the
compactflash reader in my IBM Thinkpad X22 works perfectly in Linux.
Don't see why it wouldn't, actually.  It's basically just another pcmcia
slot.

Having said that, this machine does require the ltmodem drivers for the
modem to work, but that's not a big deal.  If I'd installed Ubuntu instead
of Fedora Core 3, I wouldn't have even had to download them.

A bigger issue would seem to be 3D support.  What modern laptops have good
out-of-box 3D support without proprietary dirvers, or are there any?  Both
newer ATI and NVIDEA chips require proprietary drivers.  My current
laptop's got an ATI chipset that's old enough to have 3D support in xorg,
but that means it ain't no speed demon. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!