OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue May 10 04:10:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:24 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> I resent that. Time may be something that you need a lot of in the
> beginning but when it's all set up, it's all a breeze.

I truly apologize.
That was not appropriate and came off wrong - I went through LFS several
times for the same reason, to learn.

The point about servers is that it requires that you have a compiler on
the server, and rebuilding something like glibc due to a security bug
can take time, whereas a binary distribution is rather fast, just an
update - and doesn't take system resources to build.

The point about gentoo taking time is that every update has to be
compiled on your system. But how one chooses to spend their time is no
concern of mine, I've "wasted" a lot of time in LFS for the very same
reason and likely will again, this summer I will be wasting a lot of
time with Fedora trying to cut it down to a single install CD that
installs a working functional gnome desktop with no install options
whatsoever, but is a small easy download for those who want a quick
download to test drive fedora as a LOTD solution. Should I succeed, it
probably won't ever be anything than another personal project I finished
(there are several I have not, I had a rpm bootstrapped LFS that I had
working with the slinky installer from the RULE project - worked quite
nicely imho, but maintaining it was a PITA cuz I had to rebuild
everything myself when there was an update, that got old real fast)

So yes - I understand your POV and even share it to a large extent -
just not with gentoo.
My statement was not well thought out.