Install grub to CD, but use HD grub.conf?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 10 13:10:38 UTC 2005

Neil Bird wrote:

>   I need to create a grub boot CD for a laptop so that I can dual boot
> FC3 with Windows without touching the laptop drive's MBR.
>
>   This seems straightforward enough if I hard-code the kernel version to
> use (in a CD menu.lst), but can I do it in such a way as to make the CD
> grub read the HD grub.conf so that it'll automatically work after kernel
> upgrades?
>
>   Kernels seem to no longer maintain symlinks in /boot of vxlinuz (etc.)
> to the latest version, otherwise I'd probably be able to use that.

Debian has a grub-floppy script that creates a boot floppy. Has no menu
or kernel, but it saved me one day when not FC2 rescue CD not Knoppix
could - I had to fix a system with RHL 7.0 on one HD and Debian/Sarge on
the other and neither would boot.

The script could be adapted to make a CD - all a bootable CD needs is
the floppy image (which can be 2.8 mb).

You can get the Debian grub packages from packages.debian.org and unpack
it with cpio.

Then, of course, there's Erik Troan's mkbootdisk which these days can
make an ISO image. Probably it's already on your system.

You might be able to hack on /sbin/installkernel to make it create a new
ISO image automatically, or run a script regularly or something.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait