OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah.foster at gmail.com
Tue May 10 15:03:57 UTC 2005

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>There's a lot of talk around the Linux camp about Ubuntu: why? I've read
>some reviews about it and a few snippets here and there of users
>opinions on it, but I still don't get it.
>
>Short of installing Ubuntu myself, can anyone give me a quick run down
>on why Ubuntu is apparently rising like a rocket?  Any big differences
>between Ubuntu and Fedora, besides the fact that Ubuntu is based on
>bleeding-edge Debian?

Ubuntu is backed by Canonical, which will make it a distro that can rely
on the resources of Mark Shuttleworth, astronaut and millionaire. Its
base is debian but it has a very easy installation tool which makes it
particularly easy to use. It also has a particularly strong set of
drivers so much of the hard work of configuring and running linux is
already done.

Jeremiah